Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Saltfish...on a pizza?

Throughout the Caribbean, saltfish is a staple dish. Saltfish is fresh fish (usually cod) that is dried and salted. It is packaged in its preserved state, and is also called bacalao. To prepare, it needs to be rehydrated and have most of the salt removed by soaking it in water overnight or boiling it. In Trinidad, we usually cook it sauteed with onions, scallions and tomatoes. In Jamaica, ackee and saltfish rules.

I tried something new recently...put saltfish on pizza. Actually I should clarify, my hubby encouraged me to do it. He's Jamaican and remembered in his younger days eating delicious saltfish pizza. The first time he told me I twisted up my nose in disdain. Salty fish and cheese? Uhhh no! He eventually convinced me to try it, pointing out that I like anchovies on my pizza. Oh right, that's true...

So I tried it, using fontina cheese and topping it with avocado slices at the end. And I must say, I was pleasantly surprised!



SALTFISH AND AVOCADO PIZZA


2 medium pizza crusts (12 inch circles)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
4 cups shredded fontina cheese
1/2 lb saltfish, prepared* and shredded 
1/2 cup red onion slices
2 plum or roma tomatoes, sliced crosswise
1 small avocado, cut into 12 thin slices


*To prepare saltfish, place the filets in a pan and cover with water. Let boil for about 20 minutes. Cool and taste. If still too salty for your taste, rinse filets with cool water. 


1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Spread tomato sauce on pizza crusts. Sprinkle with cheese, saltfish and red onion. Arrange tomato slices on top.
3. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and slice each pizza into 6 slices. Lay an avocado slice on each pizza slice. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I *love* saltfish, but never would have thought to try it on pizza--sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly